A guide to wedding car and private vehicle hire licensing

A guide to wedding car and private vehicle hire licensing


As insurers, we are in no position to offer legal advice. This links in this guide are here to point you in the right direction so you can get the information you need quickly.


England and Wales

Transport for London


Northern Ireland

Wedding car and private hire or reward insurance

When delivering private transport services, you will require a motor policy that is extended to cover hire or reward regardless of the event. General everyday private car insurance is not appropriate for weddings, funerals or other private events.

We offer specialist wedding car insurance, you can get a quote via our website or call 0121 550 2380. We are open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.

We also cover other types of licensed transport services such as prom cars or corporate events.

Do I need a licence to serve Champagne?

Contact your local authority for an answer. You may wish to ask them where you stand if the couple supplies their own alcohol.

Extended cover in Scotland

Wedding car operators in Scotland do not require a PHC licence when their vehicles are being used for carrying passengers under a contract for its exclusive hire for a period of not less 24 hours. This exemption is detailed under section 22 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

This is handy if you plan to offer extended private events such as corporate distillery tours. We can extend your wedding car insurance for this type of cover.

Need insurance for your wedding business? Get a quote online or call 0121 550 2380 - 9 am to 5 pm, Mon to Fri.