Travelling to the EU if there is a No-Deal Brexit

Driving abroad next year? Here’s what you need to know if there is a No-Deal Brexit.

The end of the transition period draws ever nearer and up until the 31st December 2020, the UK will comply with the current EU rules when driving abroad.

What happens 1st January 2021 if there is a No-Deal Brexit?

In the event of ‘no-deal’ there are some important changes for UK drivers travelling in Europe. Driving without the correct documents, known as a Green Card, you are at risk of a fine, your vehicle being seized and/or prosecution.

This also includes travelling to and from the Republic of Ireland, even for motorists living in Northern Ireland.

Whilst things are subject to change depending on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, we have put together some frequently asked questions and guidelines for you, so if you are planning a trip you can arrange the additional cover in good time.

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which proves that you have valid insurance to drive your car abroad. It will be illegal for UK motorists to drive in Europe without a Green Card in the event of a no-deal EU exit.

Where can I drive with it?

The Green Card system currently comprises of 48 countries. This includes all European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries, Andorra, Switzerland, Serbia, Russia and other countries in the Middle East and others bordering the Mediterranean Sea.

Check your insurance documents for geographical restrictions within your policy.

How do I apply for a green card?

You need to contact us to apply for a Green Card. We will then arrange this with your insurer and email a copy of the Green Card to you. You must print it out and ensure that you carry the paper document with you. You will need to have a physical copy of the Green Card as electronic copies are not acceptable.

We will need to know the start and end dates of your journey. Who will be driving, as all drivers need to be specified. For multi car policies the vehicle registration number. The counties you are visiting including any you may just pass through.

Please note you must advise us if you are towing a trailer or caravan.

How much notice do you need to give?

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the MIB and all insurers will no doubt be very busy. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) advised it’s best to apply one month prior to travelling. This will prevent disappointment or disruption.

Does the document need to be green?

No, not anymore. Printing the document on white paper is acceptable.

What happens if you do not receive a Green Card?

Again, if you are not carrying a Green Card you will not be able to drive legally in any of the EU member states. You will need to produce your documentation at the borders and you may be subject to random police checks. Not being able to produce your insurance documents you are at risk of a fine, your vehicle being seized and/or prosecution.

Are there any costs for Green Cards?

At this point we are unable to say whether insurance companies will charge for issuing the Green cards. It is likely that there will be an administration cost, the amount will depend on each insurer.

The Association of British Insurers have covered additional products and topics and the article can be found by clicking here.

We hope that you have found this useful in helping you prepare for future trips to the EU. If you would like additional information on this, or any other matter please call one of the team on 0121 550 2380 and we will be more than happy to help you.