What is employers' liability insurance for wedding & event businesses?

Employers’ liability insurance explained for wedding and event businesses

Converted barn wedding venue

What is employers' liability insurance?

Employers’ liability cover can pay compensation and legal claims if an employee brings a claim against you for a work-related injury or illness.

What does an employers' liability claim look like?

Employers’ liability claims come in various shapes and forms, depending on your trade. Here are a few examples for the wedding and event industry.

Venue dresser

An employee falls from a ladder that has not been maintained whilst dressing the venue for a wedding.


If you have a shop and leave spilt water on the floor causing an employee to slip and injure themselves, you could be held liable.

Bridal shop

An employee could injure themselves by lifting a heavy delivery box. If you have not provided correct training and technique demonstration to your staff for lifting heavy objects, then you could receive a claim for negligence.

Event and mobile caterers

Without the appropriate health and safety measures, your employees could become injured by common accidents in the catering industry such as; burns from hot surfaces, scalds from hot liquids and cuts from sharp knives and kitchen equipment.


Read our client reviews on the following sites

Wedding Insurance Group Average Google Review Score Wedding Insurance Group Average Facebook Review Score
We've been featured in
Reviews Logo

Why does my wedding and event business require employers' liability insurance?

Claims made against you could include financial compensation for any expenses incurred, loss of earnings, possible loss of future earnings and pain and suffering caused by the injury or illness. In addition, even if your wedding and event business was not the cause of alleged injury or illness, the costs and expenses incurred in taking legal advice and defending an action in court can be substantial.

Employers' liability insurance is there to make sure the money will be available to deal with claims.

Is it a legal requirement?

Yes, all employers require employers’ liability by law. If you have volunteers or friends helping you out with your business, you will still require employers’ liability. It is one of the few types of insurance that is compulsory by law in the UK.

Do one-person limited companies or sole traders require employers' liability insurance?

It’s dependent on who is engaged with the operation of each type of business. A one-person limited company or sole trader could use volunteers or part-time seasonal staff. In this instance, an employers’ liability insurance would be required to cover these volunteers and employees.

There are a few exemptions for businesses who are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance; for example, those who have no employees; a family business where all employees are closely related to the business owner; and most public organisations such as government departments or police forces.

Does employers' liability insurance cover volunteers?

Yes, it includes volunteers who become injured or suffer a work-related illness whilst working for you and your business.

How much cover do I need?

The minimum limit required by law is £5,000,000; however, most insurers automatically offer £10,000,000 as standard, because compensation claims for staff injury or illness can be very high.

How much does employers' liability insurance cost?

The premium depends on your wage roll and whether your business activities are clerical or manual or both. Ask us today for a free no-obligatory quote by calling 0121 550 2380.

How many employees can I insure?

An employers’ liability policy will cover you for claims made against you by all of your employees. The policy and cover included are the same whether you have 1 employee or 1000 employees.

Does employers’ liability insurance cover the employer if they are injured at work?

Employers’ liability is designed to cover employees and volunteers of the business. For limited companies, this would include directors and owners. However, owners of sole trader businesses would not be covered, because you cannot bring an action against yourself for your negligence. A sole trader would need a personal accident policy to cover their injuries or illness.

Ask us for more information on personal accident policies by calling us on 0121 550 2380.

How do I get quote?

Call 0121 550 2380 for a quick quote suited to your needs, or you can request a callback. We're open 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.